Silver Team Academics
Course Descriptions ~
6th grade math curriculum uses the Connected Math Program which is language based and organized into various units. The students are learning the pre- algebra process for completing math problems.
6th grade science curriculum is based on the state standards for science. The four main concepts we cover in class are: Scientific Method, Plate Tectonics, The Solar System & Water in Our Environment.
6th grade social studies curriculum is aligned with the state standards for social studies. The units include: Map Skills (integrated throughout the year), Geography, US/Canada, China, Japan & The European Union. Current events will also be included when relevant.
6th grade language encompasses reading, writing, listening & speaking skills. Reading instruction is based on teaching a variety of reading strategies to increase comprehension. A variety of writing and grammar skills will be taught to improve expository writing, our focus in 6th grade. During Readers' & Writers' Workshop sessions, we will utilize mentor texts to model exemplary reading and writing techniques.
Classroom Expectations ~ Our team expectations are based upon DePaolo Patriot Pride:
Take Pride in Yourself...
- Be on time with materials
- Listen and follow directions
- Participate actively
- Strive for excellence
- Complete all in and out of class assignments
- Inform teachers in advance if you will miss class time
Take Pride in Each Other...
- Be courteous
- Keep hands, feet & objects to yourself ~ respect personal space
- Respect other people's property
Take Pride in Your School...
- If required by teacher, keep book covered
- Use classroom materials appropriately
- Leave classroom in good condition
- Keep desks and walls free of graffiti
- Recycle appropriately
Team Grading Policy
Students' quarter grades will be calculated based on the following categories:
- Assessments (tests, quizzes, projects)
Students and parents may monitor grades online through the Parent Portal of Power School.
Math Grading Policy :Homework = .20 (every 5 assignments = 50 pts.)
CBA Homework = .15 (100 pts.)
CBA Quiz = .40 (100 pts.)
Quiz = 1.00 (100 pts.)
Test = 2.00 (100 pts.)
Projects = 1.00 or 2.00 (depending on the project assigned)s=10-20%