Before you can select the right tool to assist you, you'll need to identify the problem. Is there a nail sticking out? Maybe you need a hammer. Is the board too long? Maybe you need a saw.
Similarly in reading, you need to identify what is posing a challenge. Is there an unfamiliar word? Are you confused about what a sentence means? Use this toolbox (which we're going to fill together as the year goes on) to identify and select the right tool for the job!
Before, During and After Reading
- Activate your prior knowledge
- Set a purpose for reading
- Preview the text for any visual clues
- Find the meaning of any unknown words
- Monitor and adjust- Does it make sense?
- Ask questions
- Make predictions
- Make strong connections- Connect Four
- Summarize- Decide what's most important
- Evaluate the text- Do you agree with it? Is it good literature?