Gold Team Language Arts
7th grade language arts is comprised of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
In class students will read a variety of texts (novels, short stories, poems, speeches, articles, etc.) that will enhance their understanding of literature and literary elements. In addition, students will build their reading skills through the selection of independent reading books.
A variety of writing and grammar skills will be taught through mentor texts and writing exercises. Students will start the year writing narrative stories and progress to argument writing, informative writing, and then poetry.
|Reading Units||Writing Units|
|1. Characterization and Author's Craft|
2. Essential Research Skills
3. Historical Fiction & Nonfiction Reading
4. How to Eat a Poem: Poetry Reading
|1. Writing Realistic Fiction: Symbolism, Syntax and Truth|
2. The Art of Argument: Research Based Essays
3. Writing About Reading: From Reader’s Notebooks to Companion Books
4. Poetry: Immersion and Innovations
- blue/black pens or pencils
- LA Binder OR a section within a larger binder with lined paper and a folder to store handouts
- Independent reading book
- Assignment notebook
- Composition notebook