Southington High School
720 Pleasant Street, Southington, CT 06489
PH: 860-628-3229 FX: 860-628-3397
Attendance: 860-628-3229 x11256
Thank you to families and staff who have posed thoughtful concerns. Rest assured, we will continue to work together to address each aspect of this unfamiliar territory for the "good of all kids".
Below is an update on the most recent "hot topics" of virtual conversations and the collective decision for each noted in blue font.
- What is the difference between the two weeks worth of work assigned to students compared to the distance learning starting next week? To answer this, the timeline context is useful. The time between discussions about possibly closing and actually closing on Friday, March 13th was short. Teachers scrambled to pull together two weeks of work referred to as maintenance of learning. Meaning, the two weeks would focus on content already taught versus new learning. Once we closed on Friday the 13th, it quickly became clear our closing could exceed the two week time frame. As we know, information from the state changed by the hour. This prompted work towards a shift from maintenance of learning to distance learning. Distance learning allows for new learning to occur.
- How much does the two week work "count" towards a student's grade? Originally the directive to staff was the work would be "statistically insignificant" towards a student's overall grade for each class. The idea was to hold students accountable for work completion. The intent was not to create undue stress in an already anxious time. Moving forward at this point in time, the two week maintenance of learning work will NOT count towards a student's grade but instead be viewed as what was the necessary exercise to keep students engaged. This work can serve as the foundation as we move towards distance learning.
- How will the distance learning starting next week be measured in terms of a grade? At this point in time, work completed will be measured on a Pass/Fail scale until the district is able to establish a method to ensure equity to more accurately assess individual student learning. More information on this topic will follow.
- How can a parent keep track of whether a student is actively engaged in distance learning for each teacher? Further conversations are scheduled to occur today and another update will follow.
- What is the phase in schedule for distance learning this week and how will I know when my child should log on? Following the schedule below, teachers will contact students to organize initial contact. Typically, teachers will "push out" work by 9AM each morning.
Southington High School will begin rolling out their Distance Learning Plan based on the schedule below:
PHASE IN SCHEDULE ONLY FOR 3/24-3/27
- Tuesday March 24th ELA, Family Consumer Science and Tech Educ
- Wednesday March 25th Math, Music/Art
- Thursday March 26th Science , PE/Health
- Friday March 27th SS, Business, World Language, Ag Sci
As more questions arise and I have more information, I will post the questions and answers in a timely fashion on our website.Please click here for Mr. Connellan's letter to parents sent on March 22, 2020.
The 2020 Scholarship Program has been changed to May 21, 2020. Please mark your calendars for this wonderful event that honors the hard work our seniors have done the past four years.
The 2020-2021 Program of Studies is now available. Please click here to access the file.
A graduate of the Southington Public Schools will be college or career ready and prepared for life beyond by mastering the knowledge and demonstrating the skills to communicate effectively, think creatively and critically, and contribute to the global community.
New: The SHS Chronicle has a brand new website. For the most up-to-date information, click here.
For 2020 Chronicle deadlines and FAQs on the SHS page, please click here.
PARENT AD INFORMATION 2020
Purchase a tribute to your graduate in the 2020 SHS Yearbook. Please click on the the link to see ad pricing and options. http://www.tributeads.com. The DEADLINE for all parent ads is 12/16/19.
Buy a 2020 yearbook online!
"Early Bird Offer" is available until November 30th - $75.00 After that date, the Regular Price will be $80.00. Go to http://ybpay.lifetouch.com and Enter ID 11394120
You can personalize your book with engraving, icons, current events, autograph sections and a cover. Orders for engraving and icons must be placed by early March to meet the publisher's printing schedule.
Order forms will also be available in the main office. Yearbooks may be purchased in room #221A if paying by cash or check (payable to SHS Yearbook). Credit card orders must be placed online using the above ybpay link
The Southington Public School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, religion or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Non-discrimination Statement