Southington High School
720 Pleasant Street, Southington, CT 06489
PH 860-628-3229 FX 860-628-3397
Feb. 11-Navigating the College Process
Feb. 16-Prof. Dev.
Feb. 24-Shortened Day -PD
News & Updates:
SHS Scholarship Information
Mr. Stranieri met with seniors for the annual Scholarship Assembly. Click here to go to the scholarship page with all the information students need to apply for the various local scholarships.
SHS Program of Studies
The SHS Program of Studies for the 2016-2017 school year is available by clicking here.
Southington Course Selection Information
Parents and students are asked to complete course selection online on PowerSchool from February 9 through February 16. Use this worksheet to help you determine the courses that you will select. The Program of Studies is available on the SHS website. If you do not have computer access, the School Counseling Office can provide a paper copy of our Program of Studies. If you do not have computer access to complete the process, your counselor will see teacher recommended courses online and meet with you to enter your elective choices. Click here for Grade 9 sheet. Click here for Grade 10 sheet. Click here for Grade 11 sheet. Click here for Grade 12 sheet. Click here for the Special Education sheet.
School Day SAT Information
All 11th grade students are required to take the School Day administration of the SAT on Wednesday, March 2, 2016. Throughout the State of CT, the SAT has replaced the Smarter Balanced Assessment as the high school accountability measure and is a component of the graduation requirement. Please review the information below to help you and your child prepare for this assessment and special schedule day. As more detailed information becomes available, it will be posted below:
- 11th Grade Parent Information Letter-Click here for the letter.
- 3/2/16 SAT School Day Schedule-This document breaks down both the testing and academic schedules and information for all SHS students and parents. Click here for the schedule.
- 03/02/16 Special Bus Schedule (Grades 9, 10, 12)
- Grade 11 will come to school at regular time. The standard bus schedule will be in effect.
- Grades 9, 10,12-a 2nd bus run, for Southington residents with standard transportation, will pick up students later in the morning and drop them at SHS by 11:35. Click here for the schedule and times.
- Out of district and specialty transportation will run on a normal schedule and these students will have alternative programming or a study period in the cafe or assigned room from 7:30-11:45. Non-testing Ag Sci students must report to the AgSci building and check in with staff.
- SAT Family Brochure-This CT document is intended to give a general overview and answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the In School SAT administration. Click here for the brochure.
- Connecticut and the SAT-This College Board website provides additional information and supports for the transition to the SAT. https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/state-partnerships/connecticut
- SAT Practice - Khan Academy - All students can access Khan Academy’s world-class personalized SAT practice resources for free. These interactive resources complement and reinforce the great work already happening in Connecticut classrooms with official SAT practice questions and full-length tests. https://www.khanacademy.org/sat
Southington School Lunch Information
Southington Public schools uses MyPaymentPlus for students to pay for their hot lunches. Click here for a brochure that explains the features of MyPaymentsPlus. For information on how to create an account, click here.
STEPS Asset of the Month
Cultural Competence: Young person has knowledge of and comfort with people of different cultural/racial/ethnic backgrounds.
Looking for an Internship???
Southington High School and the Southington Chamber of Commerce are teaming together to provide students a valuable learning experience in the business marketplace. Our co-sponsored program, Training for Tomorrow, matches students and their career interests in an internship or shadow opportunity with a local business. The program supports students’ choices for a fulfilling and enriching career in the future. Click here for more information and click here for the application.
Southington High School Counseling News
Navigating the College process will be held on February 11, 2016.
Click here for the AP Testing schedule.
Southington Youth Services
Southington Youth Services will host "Preventing Teen Dating Violence" workshop on February 25, 2016. Click here for more information.
Southington High School Yearbook and Senior Portraits
To keep current with all yearbook information, please visit the yearbook page. Place your order for the 2016 book now to save $5 and guarantee a book. Books sold out last year. Senior parents, place your special "parent ad" early for great savings.
SHS Recognized by US News and World Report
Southington High School was recognized nationally by U.S. News and World Report as one of “America’s Best High Schools – 2014”. It is a very positive recognition for all the hard work and dedication SHS staff gives to our students and community. Click here to read more.
PowerSchool Email Updates
Visit the Southington Serves website at http://southington.org/southingtonserves
to get involved in the community, give back, receive service hours for CCD and Honors by volunteering with one of the current volunteer opportunities.
SPECIAL NEEDS REGISTRY
The Town of Southington in conjunction with the Commission of DisAbilities has established a Special Needs Registry at the Southington Police Department dispatch center to assist residents with special needs in the event of emergency or evacuation. Please click here for more information about the special needs registry, the special needs form, or the special needs flyer.