Your child may desire to try out and participate on an athletic team at J.A DePaolo Middle School. This information will make you aware of health regulations necessary for eligibility to try out and participate on a school team.
According to the Southington Board of Education procedure every student trying out for and participating on a school team must submit the appropriate forms.
In order to participate in the Southington Public Schools sports program in grades 6 through 12 please note the following instructions:
• A physical examination is to be completed and documented on the State of Connecticut Health Assessment form within 13 months of the sport season in which the student will be participating. This physical is valid only for 13 months after the date of the exam.
• If the physical expires during the sport season a new physical will be required to continue participation in the sport.
• In addition, the CIAC Concussion Parent Consent Form and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Form must be read and the Signature page signed by the student and a parent or guardian.
Bring the completed forms to the school nurse for review. If all documentation is complete a yellow card signed by the nurse will be given to the student.
• The yellow card, Signature Page and Sports Participation Permission Form are given to the coach by the student.
• This documentation procedure is necessary for try-outs, practice and play.
• It is advised to bring your physical and permission form needed for fall sports to the school nurse during the summer on one of the days in August allotted for this purpose. Please call the Health Office or Main Office of the school after August 1 to note the dates a nurse will be available to process the yellow cards.
• If your student requires an epinephrine auto-injector, inhaler, or diabetes medication discuss this with your student’s coach and remind your student to safely carry the prescribed medication at all times.
• Be sure the doctor or authorized prescriber has documented that the student can self-administer the prescribed medication on the appropriate medication authorization form. The specific medication authorization forms that are needed are available from your School Nurse.
• Medications delivered to the School Nurse for use during school hours are only available during the school day. They do not follow the student to sporting events or after school activities. Please have another medication available for your student to carry for activities or have your student self-carry their prescribed inhaler, diabetes medication or epinephrine auto-injector at all times.
All coaches and school personnel must enforce this procedure as required by the Southington Board of Education in order that each student may have a healthy and safe sports season. Thank you for your cooperation.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the J.A. DePaolo School Nurse at 860-628-3265.