Frequently Asked Questions

What is a typical day at Southington High School like?

  • Follow a 6 day cycle (A to F days)
  • 8 period day, starting at 7:37 am with homeroom
  • 4 minutes of passing time
  • 4 waves of lunches, starting with period 4 (periods 4-7). Health and PE do not meet every day
  • Most students take 6 to 6.5 credits per year

How do I earn credits towards graduation?

  • You must earn credits to be promoted to the next grade. A credit is earned by passing a class with a 60 or higher and by following the attendance policy for that class.
  • The attendance policy greatly affects your academic standing (You cannot miss more than 8 days in a half-year course or 17 days in a full year course and receive credit - - - if you exceed those numbers, you must have a doctor’s note for every day over the limit. A tardy to class of 10 minutes or more is a cut. If you cut class 2 times you will lose credit.)

What are some important things to know about SHS?

  • Every student is assigned a School Counselor. A counselor is assigned by a student’s last name.
  • There are 4 levels of classes (level 1 to level 4, level 4 is the most advanced)
  • SHS has many different clubs, organizations, and athletics available for students.

How do I see my school counselor?

  • Please see one of the Secretaries in the School Counseling Office to schedule an appointment with your counselor.

What do I do when I am absent?

  • It is recommended that students get to know at least one other student in each of their classes for the purpose of obtaining homework in the event of an absence.
  • For absences which are known about in advance, students should discuss this with their teachers and get assignments prior to the absence.
  • Check your teachers' websites for classroom assignments.
  • Counselors can request homework from teachers on behalf of students. Such request should only be considered for long-term absences, and require a minimum of 24 hours notice. Students or parents can also email teachers to request work.

I am having difficulty in my classes, how can I get extra help?

  • Extra-help is available from teachers. The student schedules a time with the teacher to stay for help.
  • There is a peer tutoring program available with National Honor Society students. You may complete the NHS tutoring request form online here.
  • Extra help is available every period for both English and Math. The writing lab is located in the library and the math lab is located in room E 280.

What do I need to graduate from SHS?

  • 22 credits including 4 credits in English, 3 credits in Math, 3 credits in Social Studies (including Civics and US History), 2 credits in Science, 1 credit in Health, 1 credit in P.E., 1 credit in the Arts/Vocational Ed. and 7 additional credits of electives.
  • Performance standards met in the CAPT Reading and the CAPT Mathematics. For more detailed information visit the CAPT link on our website.

Who should take the PSATs?

  • All grade 10 and 11 students take the PSAT in preparation for college entrance exams during the school day.
  • PSATs are offered at SHS every October.
  • PSAT score reports are distributed and explained in December. This is one of the best methods of preparation for the SAT or ACT exam.
Powered by Finalsite