How do I get homework assignments when I am absent?
There is no "Homework Hotline" at SHS
1) Email your teacher. The fastest and most efficient way! Most assignments can be sent to you via email.
2) It is recommended that students get to know at least one other student in each of their classes for the purpose of obtaining homework in the event of an absence.
3) For absences which are known about in advance, students should discuss this with their teachers and get assignments prior to the absence.
Don't forget to visit your teacher's website!
Counselors can request homework from teachers on behalf of students. Such request should only be considered for long-term absences, and require a minimum of 24 hours notice.
The Attendance policy can be found in the Student Handbook, the following is an excerpt.
1) Course Credit: To earn course credit in any course a student is obligated to: A) Fulfill the course requirements as established by the teacher; B) Earn a minimum grade of 60; C) Fulfill attendance requirements as established by the school.
2) Attendance Standards: A) The maximum number of absences allowed in any Half-Year course is eight (8) days from school or from class; B) The maximum number of absences allowed in all full-year course is seventeen (17) days from school or from class. C) When a student is absent, the student's parent/guardian should contact the school in the morning (by 10am) of the day of the student's absence by telephoning 628-3229 Ext.389. The attendance office is equipped with 24 hour voice mail. If there is no answer, please leave a message with the student's name, grade and reason for absence. D) Students who exceed the maximum number of absences allowed will lose credit in the course unless an extension has been granted by the screening committee.
3) Unexcused Absence/(Cut): An unexcused absence is an absence of 10 or more minutes from a class without permission.
4) Consequence for Unexcused Absences: A student who has Two cuts/unexcused absences in any course will lose credit at the time of the second cut/unexcused absence regardless of the number of excused absences in that course.
Please refer to the Student Handbook for more Attendance Policy Information.