Teacher of the Year 2014-2015
Southington High School
The Southington Public Schools are proud to announce that Jennifer Paul, Literacy Specialist at Southington High School, has been chosen as the 2014-2015 Teacher of the Year. Jennifer will be recognized at the 2014-2015 Staff Convocation on August 25, 2014. She will also be recognized at a reception prior to the Board of Education meeting in September at the Municipal Center.
Mrs. Paul resides in Cheshire and has been teaching in Southington for the past 12 years. Mrs. Paul has taught at all three levels in town. She was originally hired in August 2002 as a grade 1 teacher at Strong Elementary School. In 2003, she transferred to Kennedy Middle School as a grade 6 language arts teacher, and most recently, in 2011, she transferred to Southington High School as a literacy specialist. Prior to teaching in Southington, Mrs. Paul taught in Bethany for 3 years.
Mrs. Paul earned her Bachelor’s Degree in English and Writing in 1996 from Loyola and then earned her Master’s Degree from the University of New Haven in 1999. She then went on to earn her Sixth Year Degree in Reading from Southern Connecticut State University in 2014. Jennifer is an advocate and an inspiration for teaching and learning. Aside from her regular instruction, Mrs. Paul has served on her school EIP team, SRBI Team, SHS’s Instructional Time Committee, SHS School Improvement Team, and the Grade 8/9 transition committee.
Mrs. Paul was featured on the NBC show “Making the Grade.” and CBS’s Better Connecticut this year for creating and implementing Southington High School’s Book Club Program. This program encourages students to select their own books to read for pleasure and then themes and personal connections are discussed. Last year Mrs. Paul was recognized with the Special Education and Reading Award from Southern Connecticut State University and the Southington Board of Education’s Profiles in Professionalism Award. Mrs. Paul is a member of the International Dyslexia Association, Connecticut Reading Association, and the Connecticut Association of Reading Research.
Jennifer has been married to her husband Joe for the past 13 years and is the proud mother of three children, Colby, Makenna, and Ceara.
- 2014-2015 Jennifer Paul, Southington High School
- 2013-2014 Linda Bass Reilly, Thalberg Elementary
- 2012-2013 Justin Mirante, Southington High
- 2011-2012 Jessica Bruenn, Strong Elementary
- 2010-2011 Jill Chapman, Kelley Elementary
- 2009-2010 Sara Levinthal-O'Farrell, Southington High
- 2008-2009 Maureen Waldron, Southington High
- 2007-2008 Joyce Fredrick, Hatton Elementary
- 2006-2007 Maureen Roth, Strong Elementary
- 2005-2006 Karen Paradis, Elementary Gifted and Talented Teacher
- 2004-2005 Marion Stannard, VOAG Center
- 2003-2004 Meredith Menton, Thalberg Elementary
- 2002-2003 Cathy Weston, Southington High
- 2001-2002 Nancy Chiero, Southington High
- 2000-2001 Gregory Brezicki, Strong Elementary
- 1999-2000 Sandra Van Valkenburgh, DePaolo Middle
- 1998-1999 Madeline Previti, Southington High
- 1997-1998 Jeffrey R. Shaw, Southington High
- 1996-1997 Jessica Jankowski, DePaolo Middle
- 1995-1996 Robert Bafuma, Kennedy Middle
- 1994-1995 Dorothy Drechsler, Kelley Elementary
- 1993-1994 Harriet Clark, North Center Elementary
- 1992-1993 Janet Pehmoeller, Kelley Elementary
- 1991-1992 Donna Shea, North Center Elementary
- 1990-1991 Duane Adams, DePaolo Middle
- 1989-1990 Rosanne Casale-Daigneault, Kennedy Middle
- 1988-1989 Aurora Pedrolini, Southington High
- 1987-1988 Bette Ann Bailey, Kennedy Middle
- 1986-1987 Gregory Brezicki, Strong Elementary
- 1985-1986 Dale Riedinger, Kennedy Middle
- 1984-1985 Judith Grimaldi, North Center Elementary
- 1983-1984 Alan DeBisschop, Southington High