Teacher of the Year 2013-2014
Linda Bass Reilly
Grade 4 Teacher
Thalberg Elementary School
The Southington Public Schools are proud to announce that Linda Bass Reilly, Grade 4 teacher at Thalberg Elementary School, has been chosen as the 2013-2014 Teacher of the Year. Linda will be recognized at the 2013-2014 Staff Convocation on August 26, 2013. She will also be recognized at a reception prior to the Board of Education meeting on September 26, 2013 at the Municipal Center.
Mrs. Reilly resides in Marion and has been teaching in Southington for the past 30 years. She has been married to her husband Donn for the past 41 years and is the proud mother of two children, Ben and Erin.
Mrs. Reilly earned her Bachelor of Art Degree in Education in 1971 from West Virginia Wesleyan College and then earned her Masters of Science Degree in 1979 from Southern Connecticut State University. Linda is an advocate and an inspiration for teaching and learning. Aside from her regular instruction, Mrs. Reilly has served on her school crisis team, volunteer recognition committee, and various curriculum committees. In addition, Mrs. Reilly has been involved in poetry evenings, book discussion clubs, and chaperones evening concerts for her school.
The Thalberg Teaching Garden, under Mrs. Reilly’s direction, is an outdoor classroom that enhances studies in mathematics, science, and language arts. She has earned numerous grants for her students including $5,000 from Lowe’s Toolbox for Education, two SEF grants for a “Teaching Garden,” and an Activate Southington grant. Mrs. Reilly was recognized at the Oak Hill Spring banquet in May 2012 for “outstanding dedication to improving the quality of life for those with disabilities.” She also earned a certificate of appreciation from Orchard Valley Garden Club of Southington for teaching sustainable, lifelong practices to children.
Mrs. Reilly is very active in the community as well. She volunteers at Orchard Valley Garden Club, Southington Community Theater, the Miss Southington Ambassador Program, and the Northeast Organic Farming Association. Linda co-chaired the 225th “March to Victory,” a reenactment celebration of Frenchman Rochambeau leading his troops through the Town of Southington on his way to meet George Washington. Linda also arranged for the Southington Board of Education to hold a meeting in the “Olde Marion Schoolhouse,” which is a living museum depicting life in the early 1900’s.
- 2013-2014 Linda Bass Reilly, Thalberg Elementary
- 2012-2013 Justin Mirante, Southington High
- 2011-2012 Jessica Bruenn, Strong Elementary
- 2010-2011 Jill Chapman, Kelley Elementary
- 2009-2010 Sara Levinthal-O'Farrell, Southington High
- 2008-2009 Maureen Waldron, Southington High
- 2007-2008 Joyce Fredrick, Hatton Elementary
- 2006-2007 Maureen Roth, Strong Elementary
- 2005-2006 Karen Paradis, Elementary Gifted and Talented Teacher
- 2004-2005 Marion Stannard, VOAG Center
- 2003-2004 Meredith Menton, Thalberg Elementary
- 2002-2003 Cathy Weston, Southington High
- 2001-2002 Nancy Chiero, Southington High
- 2000-2001 Gregory Brezicki, Strong Elementary
- 1999-2000 Sandra Van Valkenburgh, DePaolo Middle
- 1998-1999 Madeline Previti, Southington High
- 1997-1998 Jeffrey R. Shaw, Southington High
- 1996-1997 Jessica Jankowski, DePaolo Middle
- 1995-1996 Robert Bafuma, Kennedy Middle
- 1994-1995 Dorothy Drechsler, Kelley Elementary
- 1993-1994 Harriet Clark, North Center Elementary
- 1992-1993 Janet Pehmoeller, Kelley Elementary
- 1991-1992 Donna Shea, North Center Elementary
- 1990-1991 Duane Adams, DePaolo Middle
- 1989-1990 Rosanne Casale-Daigneault, Kennedy Middle
- 1988-1989 Aurora Pedrolini, Southington High
- 1987-1988 Bette Ann Bailey, Kennedy Middle
- 1986-1987 Gregory Brezicki, Strong Elementary
- 1985-1986 Dale Riedinger, Kennedy Middle
- 1984-1985 Judith Grimaldi, North Center Elementary
- 1983-1984 Alan DeBisschop, Southington High