Teacher of the Year 2012-2013
Technology and Engineering Education Teacher
Southington High School
The Southington Public Schools are proud to announce that Justin Mirante, Technology and Engineering Education teacher at Southington High School, has been chosen as the 2012-2013 Teacher of the Year. Justin will be recognized at the 2012-2013 Staff Convocation on August 27, 2012. He will also be recognized at a reception prior to the Board of Education meeting on September 27, 2012 in the Municipal Center.
Justin Mirante resides in Berlin, Connecticut.
Justin Mirante graduated in May 2003 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Technology Education. He received his Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership in May 2007 and is currently pursuing a post-Master’s degree in Technology and Engineering Education. Justin was initially hired for a position at Southington High School and has remained in his current teaching position for the past nine years. In 2010, he was named the department chairperson for the Technology and Engineering Education Program.
Justin is an advocate and an inspiration for teaching and learning. Aside from serving as department chairperson, Justin is a member of the School Improvement Team and Instructional Time Committee at Southington High School. In addition, Justin advises the Technology and Engineering Club and is a member of the Science and Engineering Fair committee. Justin has chaperoned numerous events for the high school students including proms, dances, class nights, to name a few.. He is the district coordinator for the Project Lead the Way Partnership Team and is the chair for the School to Career Committee. This past October, Justin presented at the Project Lead the Way Annual Administrators and Counselors Conference at the University of New Haven.
Justin developed and coordinated four career expos at Southington High School for both students and their parents. He was recognized by the Associate Builders and Contractors (an organization of over 600 commercial construction companies) for developing a partnership between the high school and their organization in order to help students become employed by them upon their graduation.
- 2012-2013 Justin Mirante, Southington High
- 2011-2012 Jessica Bruenn, Strong Elementary
- 2010-2011 Jill Chapman, Kelley Elementary
- 2009-2010 Sara Levinthal-O'Farrell, Southington High
- 2008-2009 Maureen Waldron, Southington High
- 2007-2008 Joyce Fredrick, Hatton Elementary
- 2006-2007 Maureen Roth, Strong Elementary
- 2005-2006 Karen Paradis, Elementary Gifted and Talented Teacher
- 2004-2005 Marion Stannard, VOAG Center
- 2003-2004 Meredith Menton, Thalberg Elementary
- 2002-2003 Cathy Weston, Southington High
- 2001-2002 Nancy Chiero, Southington High
- 2000-2001 Gregory Brezicki, Strong Elementary
- 1999-2000 Sandra Van Valkenburgh, DePaolo Middle
- 1998-1999 Madeline Previti, Southington High
- 1997-1998 Jeffrey R. Shaw, Southington High
- 1996-1997 Jessica Jankowski, DePaolo Middle
- 1995-1996 Robert Bafuma, Kennedy Middle
- 1994-1995 Dorothy Drechsler, Kelley Elementary
- 1993-1994 Harriet Clark, North Center Elementary
- 1992-1993 Janet Pehmoeller, Kelley Elementary
- 1991-1992 Donna Shea, North Center Elementary
- 1990-1991 Duane Adams, DePaolo Middle
- 1989-1990 Rosanne Casale-Daigneault, Kennedy Middle
- 1988-1989 Aurora Pedrolini, Southington High
- 1987-1988 Bette Ann Bailey, Kennedy Middle
- 1986-1987 Gregory Brezicki, Strong Elementary
- 1985-1986 Dale Riedinger, Kennedy Middle
- 1984-1985 Judith Grimaldi, North Center Elementary
- 1983-1984 Alan DeBisschop, Southington High